Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /customers/e/4/0/snell.no/httpd.www/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3 Snell Type D Crossover Schematic and parts value?
The Snell Community
January 18, 2018, 10:41:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Snell Type D Crossover Schematic and parts value?  (Read 5885 times)
Pointed
Just getting started

« on: April 10, 2015, 03:14:07 AM »

Hi,

Does anyone have information about crossover schematic and their parts value for Snell Type D speakers?

Taking quick comparison to my old TDL 4, Snell D's mid high was not bright enough to me and I want to make some tweaks to change this. I can get access to the XO, staying backward of the woofer but seem hard to determine the value of the combined capacitors. Please see the picture  Smiley

Thanks for your help

* Snell Type D_XO.jpg (327.55 KB, 720x1280 - viewed 262 times.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:15:24 AM by Pointed » Logged
trinhsman

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 04:17:47 PM »

I do not have any values for the type D crossovers.  However, most people do not advise changing anything in a Snell crossover, unless it is not working. 
javilha

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 08:17:09 PM »

If the mid is not bright enough for your taste, you can Work with the tonal balance in you setup, instead of messing around with the crossover. Smiley That is not a good thing to do.  Wink
Pointed
Just getting started

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 03:18:31 AM »

Hi brothers,

There are no place to "work" with the tonal balance in my audio system (cdp, pre amp, power amp...), so I shall take a chance to do "the not good thing", but I promise to respect what Peter Snell done and do not mess up the crossover Smiley

IMOP, "working XO" concept means they must delivery "frequency range" and "level" to the right place(drivers) as per designed. Generally, I feel my Snell D sound very good for Acoustic and even complicated Symphony music, Jazz & Blue(man voice only) also but for female voice sound it's not right to me yet. I liked that smooth tone but some time I wish I have a difference choice without taking other speakers, simply by changing the treble level adjustment knop (L-pad) at the back side of the Snell D to get the female voice "move" forward.

So let get closer look in side Snell D with me Smiley

At the attached picture, you can see (A) marking, there are 4 Ohm resistor and L-pad in series connected to the HF range (xo, mid, treble drivers) I believed this 4Ohm resistor shall limit the high range lever even L-pad turned to minimum value. Now I think I have 2 option may give me larger treble level adjustment: 1) easy way: replace the exiting 4Ohm by 1 Ohm or 2 Ohm resistor. 2) better way: replace the existing L-pad and 4 Ohm resistor by other L-pad with value equally to both of them.

At the (B) marking, this adjustable resistor are in bad condition, at this moment I just try rusty cleanup treatment only.

What do you think about my plan? (so sorry for my very poor English)

* Snell Type D_XO2.jpg (265.35 KB, 719x890 - viewed 270 times.)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 04:29:34 AM by Pointed » Logged
javilha

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 10:59:08 AM »

One way, you can Work with the sound, is to try some other cables by the signal and speaker wires. Here you can adjust the timre a Little bit. You can try to borrow some cables, who has a Little more level in the upper midrange and lower treble. Another cd player, could do something here in the same way. A Snell speaker, do not have a specific "in your face" way of playing, but give a fine sense of dept and Space in the music, if there is some of this on the recordings. I don't think, there is something wrong, with the slide resistant, but there som rest of damping pading and glue on it. That's ok. Don't touch the x-over, but try some different elektronics in your chain, to get your wanted timre in the midrange area.  Smiley
nesdam
Site Admin

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 06:43:37 PM »

Snell didn't use L-pads (which are double potentiometers) but only single potentiometers (adjustable resistors).

If you are sure the resistor is in series with the tweeter crossover you can replace it with a smaller resistor of better quality. Try first with another resistor in parallel, a 4 ohm resistor will reduce the value to 2 ohms, which should give a significant increase in treble level. When you have found the right value you can replace it with one of good quality. Check first if the treble potentiometer is working correctly. Your idea to replace both the fixed resistor and the potentiometer with an adjustable resistor is probably the best solution.

I wouldn't mess with the variable resistors in the crossover since they are part of the tuning of the speakers.
Pointed
Just getting started

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 04:06:05 AM »

Thanks Nesdam!

You are right about potentionmeter, I found some bad contact point at 4~5 o'clock position. Replace them by new one shall be one of top todo list. Smiley

I plan to use my SON of Ampzilla power amp and Purist Musaeum Biwire speaker cable, do you have any sujestion for other better combination? Javiha.

* IMG_20150412_101619_edit.jpg (1012.67 KB, 2038x3594 - viewed 144 times.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:28:38 AM by Pointed » Logged
Pointed
Just getting started

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 02:29:00 AM »

Dear All,

I did the modification on my Snell D, please see the picture before and after mod. Basically I didn't add or change any part, only re-wire the input circuit line. This modification shall give me more mid/treble adjustment lever, other parts I keep as they are.

I could find original Snell tone at 09~10 o'clock position of the potentiometers; for my ears I put it at 12 o'clock (this arrangement also could help me avoid the damage portion at 5 o'clock of the potentiometers). The result is so fantastic, Smiley

I love you Snell Grin

* snell_D_Before Mod.jpg (210.29 KB, 1047x642 - viewed 253 times.)

* Snell_D_Moded.jpg (292.53 KB, 1041x679 - viewed 315 times.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:31:50 AM by Pointed » Logged
Stefan I

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 05:05:54 PM »

With this change, you reduce the level of the rear tweeter, you don't need the fixed resistor at all.
But maybe you don't use it anyway?
Pointed
Just getting started

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »

Hi Stefan I,

I carefully listen the real tweeter operation for some diffrence music. In my opinion, the real tweeter may add some "flavor effection" or "space" to the sound but for some complicated symphony, I feel these "flavor" shall damage the needed clarity of the high end so I'm trying to reduce it. That is the sub reason.

The main reason is I don't want to get complain from Snell'er people here that I'm messing up the xo by let one resistor end go to nowhere.  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: