Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /customers/e/4/0/snell.no/httpd.www/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3 Tonegen/Foster Redope Coating of Choice
The Snell Community
October 21, 2018, 10:36:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tonegen/Foster Redope Coating of Choice  (Read 1467 times)
Koogert
Just getting started

« on: November 23, 2016, 06:46:03 PM »

Hi Everyone. Hope it's ok that this is my first post.

I just picked up and successfully re foamed a set of EIIs. After consuming a lot of information about tweeter redoping procedures (with a lot of great info found here, thanks) I'm still left with the question: What is the best coating for Tonegen/Foster tweeters?

I've seen Shellac, to PVA, to the Sticky Coating A-La ADS/Braun Tweeters. Although my EII tweeters appear to be fine (no audible decrease in treble, even non-cracked coating, they sound absolutely magical) I'm just looking towards the future, or if I were to pick up another set of Snells. Judging from other posts, the tweeter doesn't seem to be "impregnated" with coating, and seems to be just a thin plastic mesh that simply needs a light coating to shore up the holes in the mesh.

What has been you're experience? Anyone who was close to Voecks or Snell that knew the secret?

Thanks!

trinhsman

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 03:46:03 PM »

There is a form on here somewhere that shows a procedure for re-doping the tweeters.   There are mixed opinions about doing this.   There are a couple of the stock tweeters out there that have very similar specifications to the original Snell tweeters.   I'm sure there are others on this form they could probably give you the companies or websites that have these .   What I did with my E II's  was to have custom cabinets built for them then I changed out all the drivers to audio note drivers and had the crossovers reworked by a crossover guru .   The result is a sound that you'd have to hear it to believe .   I would never put anything in the $10,000 .
Koogert
Just getting started

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 04:44:23 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I'm more apt to repair what I have, having done successful refoams and redopes before, and as a touring musician without a day job I want to keep it as low price as possible. I'm familiar with the redope post on here but he ended up getting a bit too thick of a coating because it wasn't cut and thinned so I'm worried that it may bring the tweeter out of it's specs. What you've suggested just sounds like a completely new speaker, which I'm sure would have the best outcome, but I'd just rather get a new speaker :p. My snells sound fantastic for now and the tweeter seem to be in good shape so I'll leave it alone.
Hetsovin
Just getting started

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 05:41:34 AM »

Your website is a very good site. Everyone greeted me very well.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: