Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /customers/e/4/0/snell.no/httpd.www/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3 Type A crossover cap replacement
The Snell Community
December 15, 2017, 05:05:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Type A crossover cap replacement  (Read 513 times)
montaldos
Getting there

« on: July 05, 2017, 12:12:55 AM »

Hi all. I am  back to using Type A's in my main system with a Thor ta-1000 pre and vac Renaissance 30/30 amp, and they sound amazing. I can't believe I am back to Type A speakers after owning my first pair in 1994! Anyway, mine are original A's but woofers have been completely redone including spiders, and mids are re-surrounded. They sound amazing and my philosophy has always been that Peter Snell was a genius and I should never mess with or modify anything. However, these speakers are almost 40 years old. Is it possible the crossover components are still functioning as new? Hard to imagine. So I just wonder what upside might be possible if I replaced caps, for example, with exact values and configurations.

Has anyone tried cap replacement and experienced better sound without messing up the magic?

Thanks.
Stu
trinhsman

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 09:59:30 PM »

I had my E II's redone by a gentleman in Atlanta, GA.  He is a crossover guru.  He re-did everything to the exact specs as my original crossovers, to include bundling the capacitors.  Made a huge improvement to me.  If you do it, find someone that won't change anything, and only replace the caps exactly as they were originally valued.  Don't do 1 cap to get the same value that 2 or 3 caps bundled get.  Bundle the caps.  This is IMHO.
grannilsson
Just getting started

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:04:09 AM »

Hi montaldos ,

You are ruin the value of the speakers if you change the crossover in these speakers,
Especially Snell speakers that are well-known for their tight tolerances, if you're happy with the speakers like they are now, why make any changes?.
There are so many experts who believe that they improve the speakers by replacing parts of the filter, but there is absolutely no scientific evidence for this,
Just a belief that everything is getting better, and especially no blind tests confirming this.Changing capacitors to completely different types (polypropylene for examples) not only changes the capacitance but also the resistance which totally destroys the speaker's sound, so my recommendation if you are going to change something, make complete new crossover and save the originals as is, i would never by a Snell Type A with changing in the filter, no way.

Something else to take into account, you do not know how much has changed since they were new, you have no idea how the capacitance has been driving all these years since they were new, but one thing I can say I have owned , And still own Snell speakers from the early 80's, and when I measure these capacitor banks that Peter Snell often used, it does not differ more than 2-3% on the total value, which does not matter to the end of the result, or maybee that is the right value to get the tolerance 0,2 db from the reference speaker, my suggestion is to keep the speakers original , It is with respect to the designer of these famous speakers, Peter Snell.
Regards Göran
montaldos
Getting there

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 11:24:44 AM »

Sorry I  meant to thank you both for the input. I will definitely build new crossovers and keep the originals, if I do this project at all. However, I am not sure how to duplicate the coil windings, since I understand they are usually customized to meet the reference pair at the factory. At least I think this is the case.
trinhsman

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 11:56:03 PM »

Don't do anything to the coils.  Most likely they will be just fine.  If you want to do the capacitors, do them EXACTLY to the originals, including the bundling to get the right values.  Do not combine into a single capacitor, do it just like Peter Snell did.  If you do that, you should get very good results.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: