Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /customers/e/4/0/snell.no/httpd.www/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3 Desperate for Schematics, manual or any information on the Snell Type D speaker
The Snell Community
September 24, 2018, 04:17:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Desperate for Schematics, manual or any information on the Snell Type D speaker  (Read 568 times)
Dhollywood
Just getting started

« on: February 10, 2018, 05:34:53 AM »

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the site, and a new owner of the Snell Type D speaker. From what little I've heard from the Speakers, I think they can be incredibly Speakers,
There just a little tired , and are in need of some Love, and recapping of the old Caps. But when I asked these Audio Parts places whats need for replacing the Caps,
They all ask if I have the Schematics of the Type D speaker so as to keep the original sound that they Designed. If any one also  has any information on recapping the Type D
Speakers, That also would be great.
I've  found hardly any kind of information on the speakers...
So, I'm Desperately looking for Schematics , or anything that  can be of help to keep there original sound they designed.
Thanks to all for any kind of information or Help!!
David
trinhsman

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 01:54:27 AM »

You may not need the schematics if you’re able to get the crossovers out of the speakers .
 There was a gentleman in the Atlanta Georgia area at rebuilt my crossovers for me on my Snell Speakers.
 If you are a member of the AudioKama  website,  his username is Gordonw.  He does amazing work all the way down to bundling of the capacitors just the way Peter Snell did.
Psycho Chicken
Just getting started

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 06:41:14 PM »

What he said.  Remove the woofer to gain access to the insides.  Unscrew and remove the crossover (it is easier if you unscrew the input panel and remove it also while still attached).  Just remove each bundle of capacitors and replace with the same value.  For capacitors, we only had to hand tune the high pass bundle for the tweeter.  If you wish, you can replace all the tweeter caps with mylar caps.  Be carefull, we adjusted to within 1/4 uf , so you may see two .5 uf caps in series.  We may even have been short on 1uf caps that day and either put 2 .5uf in parallel, or two 2uf in series.
trinhsman

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 02:42:02 AM »

Welcome Psyco Chicken.  Did you work for Snell?  I see you are in their original area of the US.  I currently have a set of Tyle C crossovers at Holt Hill Audio in Andover, MA being redone.  My E II’s are doing great with the reworked crossovers.  Those were duplicated 100% to the originals when they were done, but Imhave now modded my E II’s to a point that they really aren’t Snells anymore.

* D0D2D9B6-2D4E-407A-8AA4-90565C76E469.jpeg (952.77 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 18 times.)
Psycho Chicken
Just getting started

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 09:04:58 PM »

Yes, I was the Chief Tech for a few years. Fancy job title (also known as head of the testing department) but the primary job was to tune the individual crossovers and do QC on every finished product.  Just like the other lead tech's, a local electronics manufacturer contacted me and offered more than twice the money to work for them.    I started when the D was introduced , became lead after a year, and stayed until the CLS rolled out (so, roughly early to late 1990's).  I like my D's, very affordable with the employee discount.  They still sound fine, especially since the tweeter on the D and the CV are not dampened with ferrofluid. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: