Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /customers/e/4/0/snell.no/httpd.www/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3 Snell Type C ll
The Snell Community
October 23, 2018, 02:39:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Snell Type C ll  (Read 228 times)
gwho
Just getting started

« on: September 14, 2018, 06:05:09 PM »

I purchased a pair of Snell Type C ll off of Craigslist.  One of the tweeters has no output.  I measured the tweeter and it measures 4.5 ohms.  Would anyone know if they are ferrofluid tweeters?  Also, could the crossover be an issue in having no tweeter output?  The wires are soldered to the tweeter so they cannot be easily disassembled. Another question, where is the crossover located and how difficult is it to pull it out and get to it.  Any information would be appreciated on these speakers.

Best Regards,
gwho
trinhsman

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 05:04:35 PM »

If the tweeter is registering as good, then you most likely have a problem with the crossover.  Still could be a disconnected wire somewhere.  The crossover is at the back of the speaker behind the woofer.  Crossovers can be rebuilt, but many on here are against it.  I have done my E II’s and Type C’s with very good results.  Depending on where you live, there are a couple of guys that do this work well.  One is a purist on Snell crossovers.  He re does them exactly as they were designed, including the bundling of the caps.  The other guy is a bit more extravagant, but he has an Audio Company and his speakers are well regarded, along with his crossovers.  If your speakers are in good shape, they are worth the restore in my opinion.
gwho
Just getting started

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 05:25:59 PM »

trinhsman,

Thank you for the reply.  I pulled out the tweeter and it appears to be dead (I put a signal on it) even though it measures 4.5 ohms.  I will get a replacement.  Would you know if the crossover unscrews and can be pulled  out from behind the woofer or do you have to work on it in the box?

Regards,
gwho
trinhsman

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 06:14:22 PM »

On my E II’s and Type C’s, you removed the woofer.  Unhooked all speaker wires.  Ma,e sure to mark the wires so you can attach them back correctly.  Slide the stuffing out of the way.  There should be 4screws attaching the crossover to the back of the speakers.  Once removed, a slight tap or nudge should break them free.  Then carefully pull them out.  Holt Hill Audio in MA can rebuild, but he is not a purist, and he would update everything.  He did my C’s and they are very nice.  Gordon Waters at The Audio Company in Marietta, GA is a purist and would rebuild exactly as Snell designed.  He did my E II’s and they are amazing now.  Good luck!
gwho
Just getting started

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 06:46:09 PM »

Trinshsman,

Thanks for the help.  That is the knowledge I needed.

Best Regards,
gwho
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: