Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /customers/e/4/0/snell.no/httpd.www/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3 Info WANTED!!
The Snell Community
August 20, 2017, 06:58:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Info WANTED!!  (Read 47216 times)
jones
Site Admin
Snell freak

Rock on!

« on: March 17, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »

Here I will post info that is missing or needs to be updated on the Snell site
and/or requests from our users that are in need of information.

First of all: We need more/better photos. If you see a missing image that you have
or can get, it will be very appreciated. Also if there is a bad photo that needs to
be replaced, send it in.

MANUALS!! We need as many manuals as we can get our hands on. For now, we are
missing all manuals on all models....  (EDIT: The Type A Manuel is received, THX Bluzmaster!!!) A scan of the english type in the first place would be fantastic. Other languages will also be added if received and are also
appreciated.

Missing or incorrect info:

We do our best to make sure all the info is as accurate as possible, but if you
should see any incorrect info, please do not hesitate to correct us on the forums or
email us at: snell@snell.no

Reviews:

I plan on spending more time collecting reviews online, so the reviews section will grow, but a lot of the reviews are not available online. If you have an issue of Stereophile etc. that contains a Snell review, a scan would be wonderful!

Anything missing?

Are you missing anything?

Features in the forums or the archives? We are open to all suggestions; in worst
case you get a "No."

Typos:

I am Norwegian, and my english kind of sucks. Give me a PM or email if you see any typos on the snell.no website. I really want it to be clean and professional. (Thanks again to Bluzmaster on correcting this post Smiley)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 04:16:33 PM by Bluzmaster » Logged

Peter Snell, I love you!
Snell XA 90
Snell XA 55
Snell Ci
Snell K.5
Snell CC1
Denon AVC A1 SR
foo
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 05:36:28 PM »

Thank you for a great page, Jones!

I am listening to Bob Dylan on my Snell A3's as I am writing this, so I might be a little biased..

But suggestions for additions to the site:

- Variations of different models. I saw a light veneer/ grey grillcloth version of the A3 on the site which were beautiful. It would be interesting to see any other variations of the different models.

- More on peter Snell, the man and his philosophy. I have found some stories here and there on the internet, but a more complete story would be great.

- A page of exchange parts for vintage models with makes and numbers of the different drivers.

- Links from the different models to other sources like Audioreview, etc. for easy access to user reviews, opinions, mods (hmm..?) etc..

- Used prices...? (difficult terrain to navigate, I know..but still interesting).

Just a few suggestions.

It is a great initiative to keep the name of Peter Snell alive as a high-end guru in these times of mass-market, mid-end madness.

His top-of-the-line speakers are so cheap these days, it is almost embarrasing. I bought my A3's for 10 000 Norwegian Kroners ($ 2 000) about a year ago, and I dear anyone to find a better full sound speaker for that price, by ANY make, vintage, old or brand new. Or a more stylish one, for that matter.

Just my 2 cents.

Foo

foo
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 05:45:30 PM »

One more thing: pictures! More pictures from the front, back, the insides, the drivers, and from users in their living rooms.

Can never get enough pictures.

And why not direct user comments on the different models?

Could be interesting.

Foo
dake13
Just getting started

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 02:28:22 PM »

I'm really glad to see you've set up this site. I posted a bunch of times on the classic loudspeaker pages, but I hadn't visited there for a while.

I have original Ks, JIIs, and EIIs, so I can take pictures of these and email them to you. That includes the crossovers. (May I suggest a separate gallery for pictures of crossovers?) I use Audio Note Es as my main speaker now, and these are nearly identical to the EII. I'm going to be selling my pair of EIIs shortly, as I just don't have room for them. I had another pair of Ks that I listened to for a while, but I sold these to a friend when I found a pair with a much lower serial number. This pair needs some serious TLC, but I'll snap photos once I get around to refurbishing them.

Dake

Bluzmaster
Global Administrator
Just getting started

! Go RED WINGS !

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 04:16:46 PM »

Dake -

Great! Send in anything you can... photos, serial numbers, driver info, dc resistance, manuals... whatever you've got! We're trying to establish a one-site-does-it-all for all things "early-Snell".
rettuc01
Just getting started

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 12:08:51 AM »

I have a really nice set of photos of my Type B's with and without grills.

How do I get them to you for the site?

email?

Let me know,

rettuc01
twilightround
Just getting started

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 03:49:15 AM »

I have a pair of Type A's that I bought in 1977 or 1978.   What I have does not seem to agree with your archives.  The serial number is 375 and it says they are Type A.  But the dimensions are those you give for the Type AII and the manual, which I still have, is different from the manual on the archives (e.g., recommended speaker placement is different).  For example, my "instruction manual" says "The Type A loudspeaker must be placed on the floor and against one wall.  Any other location will reduce the bass response (though moving the speaker a few inches away from the wall is of little significance)."  Also, the photo in the archives of the AII looks exactly like my pair.  I would like to see more documentation on the evolution of the Type A, and would be happy to help if I can.   
nesdam
Site Admin

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 03:39:43 PM »

I have a pair of Type A's that I bought in 1977 or 1978.   What I have does not seem to agree with your archives.  The serial number is 375 and it says they are Type A.  But the dimensions are those you give for the Type AII and the manual, which I still have, is different from the manual on the archives (e.g., recommended speaker placement is different).  For example, my "instruction manual" says "The Type A loudspeaker must be placed on the floor and against one wall.  Any other location will reduce the bass response (though moving the speaker a few inches away from the wall is of little significance)."  Also, the photo in the archives of the AII looks exactly like my pair.  I would like to see more documentation on the evolution of the Type A, and would be happy to help if I can.   

I am almost sure that the dimensions of the A's and AII's are the same. The picture of the A's looks correct, while the picture of the AII's looks like the AIII's. The bottom section of the AIII's are taller and a bit deeper than the A/AII's. I don't know when the AII's where introduced, but you could not have bought a pair of AII's in 1977/78. The production of the AII's continued until around 1988, when production of the Becker woofer stopped.
gammaburst
Just getting started

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 07:48:19 AM »

Some years ago I measured the impedance of my Snell Type A-III and Type C speakers (I no longer have the Type C). I hope someone finds these plots useful. Click the image to see full resolution.

* Snell_A-III.gif (11.21 KB, 640x500 - viewed 2533 times.)

* Snell_C.gif (11.47 KB, 640x500 - viewed 2406 times.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 08:21:53 AM by gammaburst » Logged
gammaburst
Just getting started

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »

Some years ago I asked Snell how to disassemble the A-III upper section to check for a blown tweeter. They sent me this helpful diagram. Click the paperclip link below the image to see full resolution, although it's still pretty grainy.

I'm not sure where on this forum is the best place to post new information like this.

* Snell A-III grill removal.gif (16.69 KB, 609x1028 - viewed 2929 times.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:08:49 AM by gammaburst » Logged
prerich
Just getting started

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 05:56:57 PM »

Your picture of the Snell E-II is unfortunately a picture of a Snell E-III Wink.  The Snell E-II has the same dimensions of the Snell E original, the port is in the rear on the E-II and a rear firing tweeter is added.  The Snell E-II is deeper than the E-III.  Most of the E-II's also used a different tweeter in the front than the one shown (a T Foster tweeter).
Arild
Just getting started

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 03:08:19 AM »

Hi

I just posted some new ideas to KII classification on the DIY self page.
Take a look and decide if you think it is of interest.

Arild
TypeD
Just getting started

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 06:03:52 PM »

Thanks for setting up a fine tribute to great speakers!

I sent you a lot of info via PDFs a few weeks back.  The site has not been updated yet with the info.  Let me know if you haven't received the info for some reason.  I sent it from the same email account that is registered with this forum.

Additionally, I see you are requesting pictures of Type C III and Type J/IV's, both are available via current and/or exipred eBay auctions and via AudiogoN sales items.  Let me know if you need me to download some and send them to you.

Finally, regarding model info, some of the specifications you have listed may be inaccurate.  I believe you got them from an old Snell web site product history page (still available here --> http://www.zt.no/snell.html)  However, I believe that Snell has at least a few errors on that page.  For instance, I own a pair of J/IV's (among others) and the dimensions are incorrect, the page states 32 x 12.5 x 10.5 (inches), but they are definitely 32.5" high x 10.5" wide x 9" deep (not including the spikes).  The frequency response for the Type D's is incorrect, it reads 39 - 22, but is definitely 36-20, as listed on this page --> http://web.archive.org/web/20041214084924/www.snellacoustics.com/typeD.htm  and as listed in the product catalogue I emailed you from 1996.  Bottom line, there are mistakes there, which is too bad, since nearly everyone refers to this site or that list.

Snell also left of the most important part of the frequency response measurement, the +/- dB qualifier, without it the numbers are essentially meaningless, but with it the numbers are very meaningful, since Snell was very stringent with measurements.  For example, the Type D's full frequency response specification should read "36Hz to 20KHz +/- 1.75dB anechoic".  Even to this day, those are outstanding and rare numbers.  Most Snells are known for their flat response.  It would be nice if we can set the record straight.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:54:39 AM by TypeD » Logged

Type D, Type J/IV, Type Q, Type M, CC-1
cosmos
Getting there

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 07:55:08 PM »

All large hello!
I ask me not to ignore! Am I a possessor Snell type E\3, and I am interested by possibility of work with a crossover, there is a chart, face values, on what condensers it is possible to change old?
with kind regards Dmitry!! Smiley
javilha

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 12:07:29 PM »

I have a pair of Type A's that I bought in 1977 or 1978.   What I have does not seem to agree with your archives.  The serial number is 375 and it says they are Type A.  But the dimensions are those you give for the Type AII and the manual, which I still have, is different from the manual on the archives (e.g., recommended speaker placement is different).  For example, my "instruction manual" says "The Type A loudspeaker must be placed on the floor and against one wall.  Any other location will reduce the bass response (though moving the speaker a few inches away from the wall is of little significance)."  Also, the photo in the archives of the AII looks exactly like my pair.  I would like to see more documentation on the evolution of the Type A, and would be happy to help if I can.  

I am almost sure that the dimensions of the A's and AII's are the same. The picture of the A's looks correct, while the picture of the AII's looks like the AIII's. The bottom section of the AIII's are taller and a bit deeper than the A/AII's. I don't know when the AII's where introduced, but you could not have bought a pair of AII's in 1977/78. The production of the AII's continued until around 1988, when production of the Becker woofer stopped.
The A/ll's was introduced in the latest part of 78', in the autumn.  Wink Peter Snell started his research in 73' and ended up in autumn 75' with the very first type A. And in 76' Snell Acoustics was founded.  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 03:07:54 PM by javilha » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: